Backstage at the Royal Opera House
On Monday 7th January, The Space hosted a broadcast from backstage at the Royal Opera House in London’s Covent Garden. The on-demand recording of the full 10-hour stream is no longer available, but you can watch some of the highlights here.
Presented by Kirsty Wark, Royal Opera Live featured unprecedented, behind the scenes access to live rehearsals, interviews and insights during more than 10 hours of uninterrupted programming. The day culminated with a pre-recorded performance of Act III of The Valkyrie with Bryn Terfel as Wotan. In a world first the viewer was able to choose between sampling the backstage action, watching the conductor in the orchestra pit or the full performance from the auditorium which you can see by visiting this page.
Here are some of the day’s highlights:
- Rehearsals for director of opera Kasper Holten’s new production of Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin
- Director John Fulljames reveals the costumes and set design for La Donna del Lago
- Return to rehearsals for Eugene Onegin
- Stage and piano rehearsals for The Minotaur, due to open at the Royal Opera House later this month
- Kasper Holten in discussion with music director Sir Antonio Pappano
- Chorus of The Royal Opera rehearse the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Verdi’s Nabucco
- The Minotaur rehearsal with orchestra
- Fight workshop with Jette Parker Young Artists
- Rehearsals of the choreography for Eugene Onegin
- Vocal coaching for the Young Artists
- Final preparations for tonight’s performance of La Boheme
- A vocal masterclass led by Sir Antonio Pappano
- The Royal Opera House’s Youth Opera Company warm-up for La Boheme
- Conductor Sir Mark Elder makes his final preparations for La Boheme
You can tweet your comments using the hashtag #ROLive
You can find out more about the Royal Opera House’s day of live streaming by visiting the website. Royal Opera Live was a co-commission between the Royal Opera House, Arts Council England and The Guardian.